As more sites are using system replication (SR) with feature ‘active:active read_enabled’, it it is of great benefit to perform SAP HANA monitoring not only the primary site – but also the secondary site.
This presentation covers IT-Conductor cloud-based monitoring support for HA/DR/SR feature – monitoring HANA both sites of HA/DR landscapes, and the system replication activity/status in more detail.
In prior posts, we have covered several topics on HANA HA/DR, System Replication and Dynamic Tiering, please visit these for additional background:
- SAP HANA Distributed System - Guide to Scale Out, HA and Monitor HANA
- Managing and Monitoring SAP HANA 2 Active:Active System Replication
- SAP HANA System Replication - Setup, Operations and HANA Monitoring
- SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering Test-drive
Definition of Primary system within IT-Conductor
SITE1 – each tenant and servers are monitored
Definition of Secondary system within IT-Conductor
SITE2 - HANA Tenants
SITE2 - Linux Hosts
SITE2 - Monitor Thresholds
HANA System Replication Monitoring
Drill down on the Replication button will show more detail/ status
SR Takeover or Failover
After a takeover
- SITE2 will continue to be monitored as normal, automatically picking the replication status/details.
- After the previous SITE is up and registered again as secondary in HANA, ITC will automatically reflect the new ST status, and monitor SITE1
- In this scenario, SITE2 is primary, HOT DB was stopped in SITE1 to create SR error status.
- As soon as the error situation is resolved, the Replication will automatically turn to green (normal)
Monitoring for Dynamic Tiering with SR
- Like the other services, ITC also monitor the esserver service of Dynamic Tiering, including the replication status.
Primary site – SITE1
Secondary site – SITE2
- If the ‘active:active read_enabled’ is used for the secondary site, ITC also monitors the DT services
Summary – HA/DR and SR monitoring
IT-Conductor can monitor both the primary and secondary sides of an HA/DR landscape.
- Tenant DBs and servers of primary system are monitored
- Tenant DBs of secondary system are monitored (including Dynamic Tiering) – if configured as ‘active:active read_enabled’
- Servers of secondary systems are monitored, regardless of the operation mode
- After a takeover, IT-Conductor automatically discovers the SR status of the ‘new’ primary, and also the ’previous’ primary after it has been registered as secondary