In the last year or so IT-Conductor has been working with several partners and customers to enable smarter SAP migration delivery - especially to cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure and AWS. We are involved at the beginning phases of Assessment through Performance validation, Migration & Monitoring. As we like to phrase it APM-4-APM: Application Performance Management for Assessment of Performance, Planning and Migration.
IT-Conductor has extensive experience in the SAP Migration field and have applied our expertise to automation solutions for migrations:
- Crucial SAP Performance Monitoring Tips for Upgrade and Migration
- SAP Performance Best Practices for Implementation, Upgrade & Migration
- SAP BW Migration to HANA eBook
- SAP Solution Manager 7.2 OS/DB Migration Cookbook
During phase 1 of any migration project, according to best practices above, there is an Assessment effort to serve the purposes of 'as-is' documentation, baseline capacity and performance footprint, application discovery to assist in the sizing and architecture design.
Figure 1: SAP Performance Best Practices for Implementation, Upgrade & Migration
Although most SAP customers can provide some Earlywatch reports, they often only have them configured for Production systems, and provide an overview of an environment rather than time-based synchronized snapshots of a complete application stack. IT-Conductor, being an agentless cloud platform is ideal for assessment data gathering on a large scale in a very short time. It maps out the complete SAP landscape, provides a convenient export of the application hierarchy and performance metrics across multiple time scales and windows, giving valuable insights into true resource utilization with average, peak and trough. It can continuously monitor the source environment as well as run any reports for the application, DB and OS which can be used for sizing of target platform.
Here's how we simply automate the Assessment phase:
- Subscribe and connect IT-Conductor agentlessly to the SAP environment (App, DB, OS) via our IT-Conductor Gateway. Discovery starts automatically after monitoring is connected and within minutes the discovered environment including relationships for each SID (System ID) are added to a dynamic dashboard
- Let IT-Conductor collect for as long you want to capture your typical and peak processing cycles
- Schedule any other reports from our job template catalogs, or custom scripts to collect additional configuration or performance baselines in your environment such as App, DB and OS, including SAP mini-checks to check source system (e.g. patch level, security exceptions, configuration recommendations)
- Export Service history data for any combination of services, and systems monitored by IT-Conductor to CSV to be used for baseline and sizing input.
Figure 2: Exporting the Service History Data
Figure 3: Selecting the Time range, Scale and Output Type
Figure 4: Sample Table of History Data Collected
Figure 5: Sample DB Report
Depending on how large is the source environment, this phase can be a couple days (5-10 SIDs) to a couple of weeks (10-50 SIDs) and can provide the baseline data needed to carefully size, design and plan the migration, while giving reference data for performance comparison during testing and post-golive SLA monitoring.
Interested to learn more?